Jump to navigation
- Common Sense!
- 3 meter tape
- Compass; an adjustable declination compass, such as a Silva Ranger
- Digital camera
- Water bottle: Have two (2) quarts MINIMUM per day
- Hand lens (10x is fine, large optic is helpful. Western's Bookstore on campus or rock shops carry them)
- Plastic containers for your lunches. These protect your sandwiches etc. and keep trash down.
- Binoculars (not for archaeology necessarily, but nice to have)
- Sturdy work/hiking boots
- Light weight, light-colored shirts and long pants (long pants are required in most field situations)
- Rain jacket and pants
- Hats (for sun & rain)
- Polypropylene long underwear (bottoms are especially nice)
- Work gloves
- Gaiters (many students find these helpful during survey in dense underbrush)
- PLEASE REMEMBER: Layers will keep you warm, and also allow you to cool off as needed.
Sundries to Pack Along:
- Aspirin and Antihistamines
- Bug repellent
- Minor First-Aid items (such as moleskin and band-aids)
- Lip balm
- Toilet paper (yes we do use the woods as our restroom)
- Treatment for anaphylactic shock if you have severe bee or wasp allergy