COVID-19 Symptom Attestation

College of Humanities & Social Sciences

Frequently Asked Questions

Major Declaration Questions

Q. When can I declare my major? 
A. You can declare your major at any time after successfully completing (C- or better) the following core courses: Anth 201 and 301, plus one of the following three courses: 210 or 215 or 247. (Bio Anthropology has different requirements and you must see the Biology department to learn about that process). Students pursuing a degree in Bio Anthropology or a concentration in Archaeology should seek advisement as soon as possible to complete the degree in a timely manner.

Q. Where do I go to declare my major? 
A. You can declare your major in the Anthropology Office; Arntzen Hall 315. Bio Anthropology BA/BS declarations must be completed in the Biology Department.

Q. Are there any pre-requisites or restrictions before I can declare my major?
A. Students are eligible to declare an anthropology major if they have successfully completed the following core courses: Anth 201 and 301, plus one of the following three courses: 210 or 215 or 247. Students that wish to declare a Bio Anthropology BS/BA must seek advising from the Biolody department.

Q. What will I need to bring to the advising appointment? 
A. Nothing! Just come in to the office and we'll provide a declaration form for you to fill out.

Q. Will I receive credit for classes completed at another institution?
A. In general, students are given credit for anthropology courses completed at another accredited university or community college. You may apply up to 50% of your transfer credits towards your major requirements here at Western. As a transfer student you should also be aware that you will need 60 upper division credits (300/400 level) to graduate from WWU.

Q. How do I declare a MINOR? 
A. You can declare your minor in the Anthropology Office; Arntzen Hall 315. Click here for more information.

Q. What type of jobs are available for an anthropology major? 
A. Undergraduates with anthropological training are actively employed in many fields in which their anthropological training and cross-cultural perspectives are valuable. Some of the fields are: investment banking; international and domestic merchandising; health care; personnel work; federal or state or local government; advertising; broadcasting; law; social work; state and local historical societies and at community arts organizations; and many areas of business.

Undergraduate training in Biological Anthropology provides the requisite background for some entry-level technical positions in disease control, at population centers, blood centers, forensic laboratories, medical schools and universities; and can serve as the basis for more advanced studies in the health-related professions (e.g. doctor, physician's assistant).

Archaeologists often work for federal agencies like the US Forest Service, state highway departments or state or local museums.

There are several sites that offer information about anthropologists. The following are sites that may be helpful:

Registration Questions

Q. Why is there a "major hold" on a course? 
A. All 300 and 400-level courses ave available to Anthropology majors only for the first 3 days of registration to ensure that they are able to register for classes to complete their major. If you are a declared Anthropology major and cannot register for a course, please contact the main office at (360) 650-3620.

Q. Who do I contact for an override or permission codes?

A. All 100 & 200-level courses are handled by the Anthropology Office, AH 315. The 300 and 400-level are handled by the instructor, unless otherwise noted, and you will need to contact them individually for their procedures.

Q. How do I change my variable credits for Anth 470? 
A. After registering for the course, go back to the main menu and select "Change Variable Credit Hours." This should allow you to change the number of credits from the minimum to the number of credits that you want.

Q. What is independent study and how do I sign up to earn credits? 
A. Independent study credits can be earned for a number of different types of projects. Each instructor has a specific criteria for independent study credits. Select and contact the faculty member that is the closest to your interest area for their individual criteria.

Q. What is Anth 495-Teaching/Learning Processes in Anthropology (3 credits) and how do I sign-up? 
A. You can earn 3 credits as a group discussion leader for one of our large classes, such as Anth 104-American Mosaic or Anth 201-Introduction to Cultural Anthropology and sometimes Anth 353-Sex &  Gender. Group leaders are assigned to a group by the instructor and provided with instructions and discussion materials. Each instructor handles group discussions differently, so it is suggested that students contact the instructor prior to the quarter the course is offered. Contact the Anthropology Office to find out who requires group leaders.

Graduation Questions

Q. When do I apply for graduation? 
A. Deadlines for applying for graduation can be found on the degree application. You can find the degree application on the Registrar's Office website under Degree Application. Complete all fields online and print it out.

Q. How do I apply for graduation? 
A. There are three steps to applying for graduation: 1. Contact your major/minor departments for a major/minor evaluation at least one month prior to your degree application deadline (the deadline can be found on the degree application). 2. Find the degree application on the Registrar's Office website under Degree Application. Complete all fields online and print it out. 3. Bring your major (and minor, if applicable) evaluations plus your degree application, to the registrar's office, OM 230.