Students must apply to become a Communication Studies Major. Select this link for instructions to Applying to the Major.
If a student is accepted into the Major, the student must complete the following requirements in order to complete the Major:
- C- or better in all courses within the Major
- 60 COMM credits total (JOUR 190 counts)
- Introductory COMM course: must take at least one of the following: COMM 101, 224, 225, 230, 235, 240, 260
- Library: COMM 235 or LIBR 201
- Core: COMM 220, 398, 498
- Writing: Complete three (3) Writing Proficiency (WP) points in COMM courses (COMM 498 is a WP). WP courses from other departments will not apply toward this requirement.
- 30 total upper division COMM credits minimum (including COMM 398, 498, WP courses)
No more than six (6) credits from the following courses are applicable toward the Major: COMM 236, 300, 339, 400, 436, 450, 451, 452, 459.
No more than 50% of total COMM credits can be transferred from another institution.