College of Humanities & Social Sciences



We are delighted you have chosen to attend WWU. We hope the time you spend here is filled with learning, challenge, enlightenment, and most of all, fun. To make your declaration as an English major as simple as possible, we have provided some important information below.

The English department offers four major programs:
• English - Literature Emphasis
• English - Literature Emphasis with Teaching Endorsement Option
• English - Creative Writing Emphasis
• English - Creative Writing with Teaching Endorsement Option

You can check out the lists of required courses for each of these majors on the Undergraduate Programs page.


The prerequisites for declaring an English major are:
1. 60 college credits completed
2. Satisfactory completion of English 202 - Writing About Literature or equivalent course

Important Transfer Information

If you will be transferring with your AA, you will have met the first prerequisite. You can check the Transfer Course Equivalency Guide to see if any of the courses you took at your previous college are equivalent to our English 202. We often allow transfer students who haven't taken an equivalent course to declare the major on the condition they agree to take English 202 during their first quarter at Western.

Currently, only the following colleges offer courses equivalent to our ENG 202:


College Equivalent Course
Gonzaga University ENGL 200 - Intermediate Composition
Skagit Valley College ENGL 202 - Intro to Literature
Washington State University ENGL 302 - Writing About Literature
Wenatchee Valley College ENGL 202 - Composition: Critical Analysis
Whatcom Community College ENGL 202 - Writing About Literature


Fall Transfers

If you are planning to transfer to Western for fall quarter, we strongly recommend that you attend Transitions in July. Transitions is a special orientation program for transfer students where you will meet with a departmental advisor, declare your major, and register for fall classes. If you are unable to attend Transitions, you will not be able to register for fall classes until Phase 2 of registration.

Winter & Spring Transfers

First, consider attending one of WWU's transfer orientations. If you are planning to transfer to Western for winter or spring quarter, you should meet with Jemma Everyhope-Roser before registration begins to apply for the major. However, if you are unable to come to campus, start with sending an email.

Undergraduate Program Coordinator & Advisor: Jemma Everyhope-Roser
OFFICE: HU 329 / 327

OFFICE HOURS: MTWRF 10:30-12:00 & 1:30-3:00

PHONE: (360) 650-3209 EMAIL:
Welcome to Western. We look forward to meeting you!