For information on how to apply to the B.A.E. Physical Education and Health P-12 program, see the B.A.E. Physical Education and Health P-12 page.
For information on how to apply to the Kinesiology undergraduate major, see the information below.
Kinesiology Major Application and Declaration Procedures
Preparing to Apply
- WWU students with at least a total of 75 quarter credits completed (include all post-secondary credits, multiply semester credits by 1.5 to determine equivalent quarter credits) and a GPA of at least 2.50 (weighted average across all colleges attended) may apply to enter one of the five specializations in the Kinesiology major:
- Applications from one student to multiple Kinesiology specializations are not permitted.
- At the time of application the 75 or more quarter credits must be recorded in the student’s WWU academic history (WWU transcript) and/or in the student’s WWU transfer equivalency report. (Post-Baccalaureate students must receive advice on preparing and submitting their application if their WWU academic history and WWU transfer record show less than 75 total credits, but at least 75 credits have actually been completed. See Denise Logue Denise.Logue@wwu.edu in CV 102E.)
- If the student has attended more than one institution then the student’s GPA for purposes of application to the Kinesiology major is calculated as a weighted average of the GPAs obtained at each of the schools attended. Advanced placement classes are not included in the calculation (but AP credits are included in your credit total, see NOTE 5 below); running start classes recorded on a submitted community college transcript are included in the weighted GPA calculation.
- NOTE 1: You will be required to submit a copy of transcripts from schools you have attended previously to WWU and are including in your application. These transcripts are submitted to the HHD department office within 24 hours of your submission of an application to enter the Kinesiology major. You can submit an electronic copy to Denise Logue Denise.Logue@wwu.edu. Alternately you can submit a paper copy to Ms. Logue in CV 102E. You must hand a paper copy directly to Denise Logue and receive a receipt as proof of submission (do not put your transcript copy anywhere else in CV 102E). You are not required to obtain official transcripts. Screen shots of your transcript are NOT accepted. If you have previously applied to the Kinesiology major you must supply your transcripts AGAIN with this current application.
- NOTE 2: Report any running start courses and grades using ONLY the community college transcript. Do not submit a high school transcript.
- NOTE 3: If you have "College in the High School" credit, then contact Denise Logue Denise.Logue@wwu.edu in CV 102E before you submit your application for information on how to submit these course records.
- NOTE 4: If you have any college level classes that were qualitatively assessed and a letter grade was not assigned, then contact Denise Logue Denise.Logue@wwu.edu in CV 102E before you submit your application for information on how to submit these course records.
- NOTE 5: High school AP credits that were accepted by WWU should be includes as part of your total WWU credits.
- Admission to each specialization will be determined on a space available basis after ranking candidates by GPA, from high to low. GPA admission averages for each specialization will be calculated each year based on the most current data and included in advising material that students can obtain from the Kinesiology program website (see below on this page for this information).
- The application to the Kinesiology major is submitted via a form on the Kinesiology program website (LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE).
- Deadlines for the application each year are as follows:
- Second Friday of classes in fall quarter (by 3 pm), for the students entering the major in the subsequent winter quarter.
- Second Friday of classes in winter quarter (by 3 pm), for the students entering the major in the subsequent spring quarter.
- Second Friday of classes in spring quarter (by 3 pm), for the students entering the major in the subsequent fall quarter.
- Transfer students attending a summer transitions program will not be able to apply to the major during the summer transitions program. Transfer students will apply in the fall, winter, or spring quarters according to the deadlines for application. NOTE: Post-baccalaureate students can apply to the Kinesiology major in the first week of their first quarter taking classes at Western, using the procedures listed on this page.
Summary of Dates When a Student May Apply to the Kinesiology Program
QUARTER YOU ARE APPLYING TO ENTER THE KINESIOLOGY MAJOR:
LINK TO APPLICATION PAGE BELOW OPENS (FIRST DAY YOU CAN APPLY)
LINK TO APPLICATION PAGE BELOW CLOSES (LAST DAY YOU CAN APPLY)
|Winter quarter||First day of fall quarter (In 17/18 this is 09/27/2017)||Second Friday of classes in fall quarter (3 pm) (In 17/18 this is 10/06/2017)|
First day of winter quarter (In 17/18 this is 01/09/2018)
Second Friday of classes in winter quarter (3 pm) (In 17/18 this is 01/19/2018)
First day of spring quarter (For 17/18 this is 04/03/2018)
Second Friday of classes in spring quarter (3 pm) (For 17/18 this is 04/13/2018)
The Number of Students Accepted into the Kinesiology Program*
Health &Fitness and Movement Studies
Sport Psy (majors only)
Pre-PT and Pre-Health care
Number per year
Average GPA of Students Accepted into the Kinesiology Program during 2016-17 Academic Year
Health & Fitness and Movement Studies
Sport Psychology (majors only)
Pre-PT and Pre-Health care
- Student applicants are notified of the outcome of their application the soonest possible after the application deadline, well in advance of the registration phase I for the subsequent quarter.
- Students admitted to the major are assigned to a program academic advisor and are required to meet with the advisor to make a plan of study. Conversion to major status will not be completed without a meeting with a program academic advisor. Notes:
- Your advisor will give you a major declaration form that you will fill out and take to the Registrar's office in Old Main 230. If you do not take the form to the registrar's office after meeting with your advisor, and at least 1 week prior to phase I registration, you will not be advanced to major status and will not be able to register for Kinesiology classes. A student must register for KIN 306 in the first quarter they are admitted to the Kinesiology major. Failure to take KIN 306 in the first quarter will result in removal from the major.
- Students may request to be advised by another Kinesiology faculty member than the one the student is initially assigned to. To request a new advisor, contact the faculty member you would like to be your advisor, and ask that person to be your advisor
- If a student is denied entry into a Kinesiology major specialization, the student may apply again the next quarter to the same specialization. For example, if a student is not selected in the spring for fall quarter admission to the Pre-Health Care Specialization, the student can apply again in the fall to the same Kinesiology Pre-Health Care Specialization.
- If a student is denied entry into the Kinesiology major, the student may apply again to a different specialization after a delay of one quarter. For example, if a student is not selected in the spring for fall quarter admission to the Pre-Health Care Specialization, the student can apply in the winter to a different Kinesiology specialization.
- Once admitted to a specialization, a student wishing to change to a different specialization must apply for admission to the new specialization following the deadlines and admission criteria for application, and can do so while continuing in the present specialization.
Students not admitted to the Kinesiology major should contact the Academic Advising Center at 360-650-3850 for assistance with selecting courses and a major.
After Starting To Take KIN 306
- Students must complete KIN 306 in their first quarter in the major. If a student does not complete KIN 306 in their first quarter in the major (and does not have an Office of Student Life approved student hardship reason) the student will not be allowed to continue in the major and the KIN classes.
- If a student receives a grade of less than C- in KIN 306, the student must register for KIN 306 in the next quarter it is offered.
If you have any questions about how to complete the application (e.g., what credits to include, what GPA to report, what schools to report, etc) contact Denise Logue Denise.Logue@wwu.edu in CV 102E BEFORE you submit your application.
Before you proceed to the application, read these common mistakes that result in an application being rejected, so you can ensure you will not make them.
- You went to a post secondary school before WWU, but you did not include that school in the list of previous schools in your application form.
- You did not submit a copy of a previous school(s) transcript(s) within 24 hours of submitting your application (submit an electronic copy to Denise Logue Denise.Logue@wwu.edu or submit a paper copy to Ms. Logue in CV 102E). The fact that the previous school sent your transcripts to WWU for your admission or transfer credit review DOES NOT MATTER because those documents are in another WWU office and are not accessible to us, YOU must give the Kinesiology program a copy of them.
You are responsible for checking the accuracy of all information entered onto the application form BEFORE you submit the form. You can only submit your application once and corrections after submission are not allowed. Inaccurate information submitted will result in admission denial.