Internship & Field Experience

Internship & Field Experience

KIN 471 and 472 Internship Information

 KIN471_Intern_Manual.pdf use this for general information on internships.

KIN 491 Field Experience Information

KIN491_Field_Experience_Manual.pdf use this for general information, and to provide information and evaluation forms to your agency supervisor.

NOTE: students doing an internship of a field experience in the summer term must be registered for the class by the first day of classes in the summer term.  Late registration will not be allowed in the summer term.


Policy Regarding CPR and First Aid Certifications and Re-Certifications

Original certifications must be obtained through classes that contain a both a cognitive and hands-on practical assessment, no entirely online certifications will be accepted. Certification must also be from a professional organization that complies with the guidelines established by the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation and/or the American Heart Association. All re-certifications must include an in-person hands-on practical portion as well. Completely on-line certification or re-certification will not be accepted. The original signature of the instructor on the certification card indicating the completion of a practical portion will be required as evidence that the class was not online only class. Examples of organizations that provide this type of certification include the American Heart Association, American Red Cross and Medic First Aid however this list is not all inclusive.

First aid certification must be "standard" first aid.

CPR/AED certification must be for adults, although if student is working in an environment with children then child CPR is also advised.

*Red Cross First Aid & CPR classes

*LifeTek Heartsaver First Aid, CPR & AED classes (must include first aid component and not be only the Heartsaver CPR & AED class).


Internship Considerations

Western’s Student Medical Malpractice Insurance Program insures the professional liability (and general liability) of Western students who furnish mental and physical healthcare-related professional services during internship or field experience work as required under a related degree curriculum.  Students must be enrolled and engaged in an internship or field experience course, or any of the student’s related degree curriculum courses, at the time of internship or field experience work.* The cost for this insurance is a flat fee of $16.00 for 12 months of coverage from the date the fee is paid. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure the premium is paid and coverage is current. Note: This program is ONLY available to Western Washington University students.

Students NOT enrolled or engaged in curriculum courses at the time of internship or field experience work may be able to obtain professional liability insurance from Healthcare Provider Service Organization (HPSO). Students can view details and enroll online.

Why Obtain Student Medical Malpractice Insurance? (A brief presentation for Western healthcare student interns only)


Background Check 

If you are instructed by your advisor to obtain a background check as part of the preparation for a field experience or internship, then follow the instructions below.

  • If you have lived you last 3, or more, years in WA state: 

Go to
Click on the Establish a New Credit Card Account
Complete the necessary Information
Click on Criminal History Request: Process Criminal History Requests
Enter your First / Middle Initial / Last Name and Birthdate

Complete the Payment Information
Confirm the Request
Go to Watch Inbox and view the report for your name
Print Report
Bring report to your KIN program advisor

  • If you have NOT lived in WA state for the past 3 years:

Background check is run by Certified
Use "Package Code" WG91 to place order
Results are normally returned within 3 - 5 business days
Bring results to your KIN program advisor