General Information

The Kinesiology Program provides concentrated study of human movement from developmental, mechanical, motor control, psychosocial, psychological, pathological, and physiological perspectives. This program is appropriate for students who plan to work in the fitness/exercise industry and can serve as a preparatory program for graduate or post-baccalaureate study in the areas of aging, auxology, biomechanics, exercise physiology, health/fitness, motor control/learning, physical therapy, occupational therapy, nursing, or similar allied health programs, and sport psychology. Supporting courses from biology, chemistry, computer science, psychology, health education, and physics may be included to provide more in-depth analysis of principles associated with human structure and function.

Program requirements for the five areas of concentration offered:

Kinesiology - Pre-Physical Therapy
Kinesiology - Pre-Health Care Professions
Kinesiology - Movement Studies
Kinesiology - Health and Fitness Specialist
Kinesiology - Sport Psychology

Program Overview

The Kinesiology Program consists of two years of coursework. These include required core coursework in the following areas of professional activities: exercise science foundations, psychosocial and historical foundations, and field experience. Additionally, all Kinesiology students are required to select and take coursework in one of the following five areas of specialization: Movement Studies, Health & Fitness Specialist, Pre-Physical Therapy, Pre-Health Care Professions, or Sport Psychology. It is important to note that completion of coursework for the Pre-Physical Therapy and the Pre-Health Care Professions options may take more than two years. Generally, Kinesiology students begin taking coursework at the beginning of their junior year; however, earlier entry is possible with general university requirements (GURs) and Kinesiology requirements are taken concurrently. Careful planning is required if students are to complete their degree during a four-year period.

Admission to the program

Learn how to apply to the Kinesiology major by exploring the “Advising” and “Declaring a Major” section of the menu at the left.

Kinesiology undergraduate student club

AS Kinesiology Club

Internship & Field Experience

KIN 471 and 472 Internship Information

 KIN471_Intern_Manual.pdf use this for general information on internships.

KIN 491 Field Experience Information

KIN491_Field_Experience_Manual.pdf use this for general information, and to provide information and evaluation forms to your agency supervisor.

NOTE: students doing an internship of a field experience in the summer term must be registered for the class by the first day of classes in the summer term.  Late registration will not be allowed in the summer term.

Policy Regarding CPR and First Aid Certifications and Re-Certifications

Original certifications must be obtained through classes that contain a both a cognitive and hands-on practical assessment, no entirely online certifications will be accepted. Certification must also be from a professional organization that complies with the guidelines established by the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation and/or the American Heart Association. All re-certifications must include an in-person hands-on practical portion as well. Completely on-line certification or re-certification will not be accepted. The original signature of the instructor on the certification card indicating the completion of a practical portion will be required as evidence that the class was not online only class. Examples of organizations that provide this type of certification include the American Heart Association, American Red Cross and Medic First Aid however this list is not all inclusive.

First aid certification must be "standard" first aid.

CPR/AED certification must be for adults, although if student is working in an environment with children then child CPR is also advised.

Internship Considerations

Western’s Student Medical Malpractice Insurance Program insures the professional liability (and general liability) of Western students who furnish mental and physical healthcare-related professional services during internship or field experience work as required under a related degree curriculum.  Students must be enrolled and engaged in an internship or field experience course, or any of the student’s related degree curriculum courses, at the time of internship or field experience work.* The cost for this insurance is a flat fee of $16.00 for 12 months of coverage from the date the fee is paid. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure the premium is paid and coverage is current. Note: This program is ONLY available to Western Washington University students.

Students NOT enrolled or engaged in curriculum courses at the time of internship or field experience work may be able to obtain professional liability insurance from Healthcare Provider Service Organization (HPSO). Students can view details and enroll online.

Why Obtain Student Medical Malpractice Insurance? (A brief presentation for Western healthcare student interns only)