Recreation Internships

What is the Phase III Internship?

The internship gives students a practical, in-depth experience in the professional field they plan to enter. During Phase III, students enroll in Rec 473 (Internship III) for 15 hours of credit during spring quarter or Rec 472 (Internship II) for 12 credits summer quarter. Students planning to do a summer internship must also register for Rec 471 (Internship I) either the quarter before or the quarter after the internship. This gives students the full 15 credits for their internship. Rec 471 provides the additional three credits only; there is no work to be done for this class as all the work is done during the summer quarter internship. Students should see their advisors for further information.

Once students select an internship site and complete the Internship Agreement, they report to the agency and work under agency supervision for an agreed period of time, usually 400 hours over the 10-week university quarter (14 weeks for Therapeutic Recreation internships). Supervision of the intern's experience is coordinated jointly by the participating agency and the university faculty advisor.

Internship Documents (for Community, Outdoor, and Ecotourism concentrations)

Documents to be used while preparing for the internship:

Student Internship Information and Checklist (for student)

Agency Internship Information and Planning Form (for internship agency)

Internship Agreement Form (to be signed by student, agency and faculty advisor)

Reports & evaluation forms to be completed during the internship:

Weekly Internship Report (for student)

Internship Supervisor Evaluation (for agency)

Internship Documents (for Therapeutic Recreation concentration)

Reports & evaluation forms to be completed during the TR internship:

TR Internship Agreement Form (to be signed by student, agency and faculty advisor)

TR Intern Weekly Report

TR TriWeekly Supervisor Progress Report (for agency)

TR Final Intern Report (for student)

TR Final Supervisor Internship Evaluation (for agency)

Medical Malpractice Insurance for TR Internships:

Western’s Student Medical Malpractice Insurance Program insures the professional liability (and general liability) of Western students who furnish mental and physical healthcare-related professional services during internship or field experience work as required under a related degree curriculum. Students must be enrolled and engaged in an internship or field experience course, or any of the student’s related degree curriculum courses, at the time of internship or field experience work. The cost for this insurance is a flat fee of $16 for 12 months of coverage from the date the fee is paid. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure the premium is paid and coverage is current.

Click HERE to pay for your medical malpractice insurance.

Fieldwork Hours

As a requirement of the program, 240 fieldwork hours must be completed prior to beginning your internship. (Therapeutic Recreation students only need to complete 100 fieldwork hours, as their internships are 14 weeks long instead of ten.) For more information about these hours, click here.

Need Help With Your Resume & Cover Letter?

Normally you will be asked to submit a cover letter and resume when you apply for your internship. The Career Services Center has provided guides for writing your cover letter and resume.