Study Abroad Transfer Credit

Study Abroad Transfer Credit

The Political Science Department encourages students to participate in study abroad opportunities that further their academic studies.  Up to ten (10) credits of approved study abroad coursework in Political Science can be applied to the major requirements.

Credit in the Political Science major/minor will not be awarded until Western has accepted the credits from the foreign institution. At that point, we will evaluate your study abroad coursework when you provide the following documents to the department:

  • Transcript from the foreign institution showing completed coursework, a minimum grade of C– is required.
  • Syllabi/course descriptions of the classes completed or if a syllabus is not available then your work product (papers, tests & readings) from the class.


Please note that the amount of credit awarded towards the major is at the discretion of the Political Science department and may differ from credits awarded by the WWU Registrar.


University rules regarding transfer credit apply:

At least 50% of the credit hours required for the major/minor must be earned at WWU. For political science majors, a maximum of 30 transfer credits may apply toward the major. For political science minors, a maximum of 12 transfer credits may apply.


The WWU Education Abroad office lists study abroad programs by country on their website available here.