Requirements to Declare the Psychology Major
To declare a major in psychology, a student must have:
- Completed at least 75 credits;
- Successfully completed or be currently enrolled in PSY 301;
- Achieved a GPA at WWU of 2.70 or higher (based on at least 12 credits). A GPA of 3.0 or higher in PSY courses completed at WWU, including PSY 301, may substitute for the cumulative 2.70 GPA.
Students intending to take PSY 301 and declare a major in psychology must first declare a psychology pre-major. The psychology pre-major and major are highly impacted, meaning the number of students wishing to declare exceeds the number of spaces available. As a result, admission to the pre-major will be determined each quarter on a space-available basis after ranking candidates by GPA, from high to low. The GPA used will be the highest of either a cumulative Western GPA or an average of PSY 210–250 courses.
Pre-major applicants are also required to complete the Psychology Department Pre-Major Quiz prior to having their application evaluated, which will be made available on Canvas the second week of each quarter. The pre-major application portal will be open during weeks three and four of each quarter via the Psychology Department website.
Prerequisites for a Psychology Pre-major:
- Completion of at least 90 credits (current class enrollment included);
- Completion of at least 20 PSY credits by the end of the current quarter, including PSY 101 and three courses from PSY 210, 220, 230, 240, and 250, or transfer credit for those courses as indicated on the Transfer Equivalency Report. At least 5 PSY credits must be from Western;
- Achieved a Western GPA (based on at least 12 credits) of 2.60 or higher. In the absence of a Western GPA, a GPA of 2.60 or higher from an equivalent four-year institution (based on at least 12 credits) or a cumulative GPA from a completed Associates degree may substitute for the Western GPA. A PSY GPA (based on an average of grades earned in PSY 210, 220, 230, 240, and 250) may substitute for a cumulative GPA.
Please note: The link to the application form above will only work during the Major Declaration period, which opens the third full week of the each quarter.
The Psychology Major
Beginning of the third week of each quarter, students who have declared a pre-major and meet all the above major requirements should visit the Psychology Department main office (Academic Instruction Center 434) to submit a copy of their Total Academic History and Transfer Equivalency Report (if applicable). Students can obtain a print copy of these materials via Web4U.