Applying for Graduation
Degree Application Deadlines
(subject to $45 late fee)
|Summer 2022||March 11, 2022||July 15, 2022|
|Fall 2022||June 3, 2022||November 4, 2022|
|Winter 2023||September 30, 2022||February 10, 2023|
|Spring 2023||December 2, 2022||May 5, 2023|
Planning for Graduation
To be approved for graduation you must:
- Meet all graduation requirements (or be on track to meeting graduation requirements by the quarter you intend to graduate).
- Conduct an exit interview with the chair.
- Have a major evaluation submitted on your behalf
- Submit all graduation paperwork.
The first step to receiving approval for graduation is to contact the journalism department manager to prepare your major evaluation.
The department manager will provide information about making an appointment with the department chair to go over your evaluation. Download and fill out an exit interview to bring to your meeting.
After your meeting with the chair, the department manager will submit your major evaluation (and minor evaluation if applicable) and clear you for submitting your degree application. They can document approval of the evaluation by recording a Note in Degree Works (no paperwork required).
Plan to apply for graduation a minimum of two quarters before you expect to graduate. If you are planning to graduate spring quarter, you must complete all application requirements (including your exit interview) no later than the end of dead week fall quarter. That means that you should contact the department mid-quarter to ensure you have time to schedule your exit interview by dead week. If you contact the department at the last minute, you risk missing the application deadline.
Contact the journalism department manager to prepare your minor evaluation. They can document approval of the evaluation by recording a Note in Degree Works (no paperwork required).
Plan to submit your minor paperwork along your with your major degree application. See your major department for their processes and deadlines.
Graduation Requirements for the Baccalaureate Degree
Journalism students must meet the graduation requirements of Western Washington University and the College of Humanities and Social Science.
- Complete all requirements for the major in Journalism (or combined major) according to your Plan of Study. Requirements include a writing proficiency course* completed with a grade of C- or better, and the required GPA of 2.50 in both WWU courses and Journalism courses
- Complete a minimum of 180 total credits. This includes 90 credits of GURs (or a direct transfer A.A. degree from a community college). Note: English 101 must be completed with a grade of C- or better.
- Complete a minimum of 60 upper-division credits (300/400-level) as part of the 180-credit requirement.
- Complete a minimum of 45 credits in residence at WWU. Correspondence coursework does not satisfy this requirement.
- Your final quarter must be in residence, meaning you must be enrolled at WWU during the quarter your degree is granted.
- Your cumulative GPA at Western and in Journalism courses must be at least 2.5.
- You must submit an application for the degree no later than the last day of classes two quarters prior to the quarter of intended graduation.
- All courses for your major must have a C- or better grade.
*WP courses in the journalism department are Klipsun (3) and Senior Seminar (3)
You can find the Degree Application form on the Registrar's Office home page.
- Under Quick Links, click on Degree Application.
- Click on Degree Application Form. If you have already submitted the Degree Application and are changing your quarter of graduation, then click on Reapplication Form.
- Complete the form & follow submission instructions.