Welcome to the Department of Journalism
About the Department of Journalism
Welcome to Western Washington University's Department of Journalism!
We are about to celebrate our 50th anniversary in 2021-2022.
Our graduates can be found all over, writing and editing news from the regional to the national level, serving as public relations professionals in public and private organizations, working as photographers and multimedia specialists, and upholding the legacy of journalism.
Read our mission statement to learn more about our objectives.
The Department offers four BA tracks:
And Two Minors:
2021 Outstanding Graduate
Jaya served as the lead designer for Klipsun magazine’s Fall 2020 “Pride” edition and then served as the editor-in-chief of the magazine in 2021. For the Spring 2021 Edition of Klipsun Jaya chose EMPATHY as the theme, an apt concept to explore during a pandemic that posed such huge personal and professional challenges to the academic community we serve. As editor-in-chief, she was a highly effective leader, maintaining a joyful climate of creative collaboration for an editorial staff that was scattered across the state and across the country. Despite the constraints of remote learning and the isolation and stress of the lockdown, Jaya's editorial team produced compelling multimedia narrative journalism that bears enduring witness to a singular moment in our collective lives.
During the Winter and Spring quarters of 2021, Jaya took initiative to revitalize the department’s online alumni newsletter as an independent study project. In her role as the student editor, she deftly reorganized the website to improve its function and form while generating engaging content. In addition to writing several feature stories about faculty and alumni, Jaya fostered opportunities for other journalism students to get involved. Her contributions as the newsletter editor has been invaluable, helping to further bridge communication between the department and our alumni.
Our Department is unique because:
- We specialize in writing with award-winning publications.
- We produce excellence in the basics of the English language.
- We trace our roots in journalism principles from the Cato Letters to the best current technology in use.
- We emphasize journalism as a craft that plays a significant political and cultural role in America.
- We stress real-world applications of skills through internships.
- We provide enough intellectual curiosity and challenge that alumni go on to graduate school or other professions.
- We emphasize the role of readers as citizens who need to be informed to take part in a democratic society.
- Despite the fact that we are getting bigger and bigger, we know students face-to-face and by first name. And they know us.
Every little bit helps! Here is a quick and easy way to donate to the scholarships or the journalism department. Thank you!