Welcome to the Department of Journalism
Department Hours & Holidays
Winter 2023 Quarter
Monday - Thursday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Friday: 8:30am - 3:30pm
MLK Day (January 16th): Closed
Presidents’ Day (February 20th): Closed
Are you wondering if journalism is the right field for you? Learn more about Western's journalism program.
Do you need an override to get into a specific journalism course? Fill out this form to request the override(s) that you need.
Applying to the Major
Are you ready to apply to the journalism major winter quarter? Applications will be accepted from January 20, 2023 - January 27, 2023 at noon.
Speak to an Advisor
Would you like to speak to an advisor? Schedule an appointment and get assistance with choosing a major, course planning, major requirements, and more!
About the Department of Journalism
Welcome to Western Washington University's Department of Journalism!
We celebrated our 50th anniversary in 2021-2022.
Our graduates can be found all over, writing and editing news from the regional to the national level, serving as public relations professionals in public and private organizations, working as photographers and multimedia specialists, and upholding the legacy of journalism.
Read our mission statement to learn more about our objectives.
The Department offers four BA tracks:
And Two Minors:
Our Department is unique because:
- We specialize in writing with award-winning publications.
- We produce excellence in the basics of the English language.
- We trace our roots in journalism principles from the Cato Letters to the best current technology in use.
- We emphasize journalism as a craft that plays a significant political and cultural role in America.
- We stress real-world applications of skills through internships.
- We provide enough intellectual curiosity and challenge that alumni go on to graduate school or other professions.
- We emphasize the role of readers as citizens who need to be informed to take part in a democratic society.
- Despite the fact that we are getting bigger and bigger, we know students face-to-face and by first name. And they know us.
Every little bit helps! Here is a quick and easy way to donate to the scholarships or the journalism department. Thank you!