For Spring Quarter 2020 email is the best way to communicate with the department and our professors unless you've been instructed otherwise.
See the Journalism Department Pre-Majors & Majors Canvas Page for updates and information if you're already a Journalism student.
Contact us if you need to sign up as a pre-major or minor.
Thank you, and happy spring!
Welcome to Western Washington University's Department of Journalism. We celebrated our 40th anniversary in 2011-2012. Our graduates can be found throughout the United States, writing and editing the news of the region, serving as public relations professionals in public and private organizations, working as photographers and multimedia specialists, and upholding the legacy of journalism.
Read our mission statement to learn more about our objectives.
Journalism students may choose from three tracks of study: News Editorial, Public Relations, or Visual Journalism. All tracks require basic writing courses and a supervised internship in addition to specific courses relating to the chosen track. While enrolled in a program, students are offered a number of learning opportunities including: working as writers, photographers or editors on three university publications, learning from industry professionals who frequently speak in classes, and working hands-on with community organizations to gain experience in their chosen fields.
Our Department is unique because:
- We specialize in writing with award-winning publications.
- We produce excellence in the basics of the English language.
- We trace our roots in journalism principles from the Cato Letters to the best current technology in use.
- We emphasize journalism as a craft that plays a significant political and cultural role in America.
- We stress real-world applications of skills through internships.
- We provide enough intellectual curiosity and challenge that alumni go on to graduate school or other professions.
- We emphasize the role of readers as citizens who need to be informed to take part in a democratic society.
- Despite the fact that we are getting bigger and bigger, we know students face-to-face and by first name. And they know us.
Every little bit helps! Here is a quick and easy way to donate to the scholarships or the journalism department. Thank you!