Welcome to the Department of Journalism
Department Hours & Holidays
Fall Quarter 2023
Monday - Thursday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Friday: 8:30am - 3:30pm
November 10th (Veterans Day): Closed
November 23rd-26th (Thanksgiving Break): Closed
December 22nd-January 1st (Winter Break): Closed
Are you wondering if journalism is the right field for you? Learn more about Western's journalism program.
Applying to the Major
Beginning Fall Quarter 2023, major applications will be accepted at any time. Please refer to Steps to Becoming a Major for specific requirements.
Speak to an Advisor
Would you like to speak to an advisor? Schedule an appointment and get assistance with choosing a major, course planning, major requirements, and more!
About the Department of Journalism
Welcome to Western Washington University's Department of Journalism!
We celebrated our 50th anniversary in 2021-2022.
Our graduates can be found all over, writing and editing news from the regional to the national level, serving as public relations professionals in public and private organizations, working as photographers and multimedia specialists, and upholding the legacy of journalism.
Read our mission statement to learn more about our objectives.
The Department offers four BA tracks:
And Two Minors:
Our Department is unique because:
- We specialize in writing with award-winning publications.
- We produce excellence in the basics of the English language.
- We trace our roots in journalism principles from the Cato Letters to the best current technology in use.
- We emphasize journalism as a craft that plays a significant political and cultural role in America.
- We stress real-world applications of skills through internships.
- We provide enough intellectual curiosity and challenge that alumni go on to graduate school or other professions.
- We emphasize the role of readers as citizens who need to be informed to take part in a democratic society.
- Despite the fact that we are getting bigger and bigger, we know students face-to-face and by first name. And they know us.
Every little bit helps! Here is a quick and easy way to donate to the scholarships or the journalism department. Thank you!