Journalism Mission Statement
The Department of Journalism provides students with educational excellence in an experiential learning environment leading to an understanding of the role of mass media in a diverse democratic society, while teaching critical thinking, and the ethical use of traditional and new media.
Here is the Journalism Department Evaluation Plan.
- To teach journalism, visual journalism and public relations by building upon a solid liberal arts foundation, while providing students with analytical and assertive information-gathering skills, and the ability to write clearly and quickly on complex topics.
- To instill students with a sense of commitment to see that democratic processes in society are served by the timely disclosure of quality information to the reading, viewing and listening public.
- To demonstrate the value of diversity among faculty, students, staff and community while preparing future citizens, media professionals and leaders who appreciate the value of diversity.
- To provide a learning community that celebrates diversity and a curriculum that encourages a thoughtful and sensitive examination of the diversity of our regional, national and global communities.
- To provide students with a firm liberal arts education and high quality professional training, in keeping with national standards for accrediting journalism and public relations programs.
- To provide students with courses on writing, editing, research and critical thinking in every sequence in the department.
- To enhance communication skills in writing and critical thinking so that students may use these skills in media, public relations, public affairs and graduate study.
- To provide students with the knowledge of the technical means of producing and communicating meaningful content as citizens, media professionals, leaders and educators.