Applying for Graduation
Planning for Graduation
Plan to apply for graduation a minimum of two quarters before you plan to graduate. If you are planning to graduate spring quarter, you must apply no later than the end of dead week fall quarter.
Contact the journalism department manager to prepare your file for the meeting with the chair. Make an appointment with the department chair to go over your evaluation. Download and fill out an exit interview to bring to your meeting. After your meeting with the chair, you will submit your major evaluation (and minor evaluation if applicable), along with a Degree Application, to the Registrar's Office.
Graduation Requirements for the Baccalaureate Degree
Journalism students must meet the graduation requirements of Western Washington University and the College of Humanities and Social Science.
- Complete all requirements for the major in Journalism (or combined major) according to your Plan of Study. Requirements include a writing proficiency course* completed with a grade of C- or better, and the required GPA of 2.50 in both WWU courses and Journalism courses
- Complete a minimum of 180 total credits. This includes 90 credits of GURs (or a direct transfer A.A. degree from a community college). Note: English 101 must be completed with a grade of C- or better.
- Complete a minimum of 60 upper-division credits (300/400-level) as part of the 180-credit requirement.
- Complete a minimum of 45 credits in residence at WWU. Correspondence coursework does not satisfy this requirement.
- Your final quarter must be in residence, meaning you must be enrolled at WWU during the quarter your degree is granted.
- Your cumulative GPA at Western and in Journalism courses must be at least 2.5.
- You must submit an application for the degree no later than the last day of classes two quarters prior to the quarter of intended graduation.
- All courses for your major must have a C- or better grade.
*WP courses in the journalism department are Klipsun (3) and Senior Seminar (3)
You can find the Degree Application form on the Registrar's Office home page.
- Under Quick Links, click on Degree Application.
- Click on Degree Application Form. If you have already submitted the Degree Application and are changing your quarter of graduation, then click on Reapplication Form.
- Complete the form online, print the form and return it to the Registrar's Office with the required documentation (the major and minor evaluation forms which the department completes are there as well).