Declaring a Communication Studies Major
Western's Academic Coordinating Commission has approved that the Department of Communication Studies adopt the following procedures for major admission.
Students who are interested in declaring a communication studies major must meet the following prerequisites:
- Complete any one of the following courses with a B- or better: COMM 101, COMM 224, COMM 225, COMM 230, COMM 235, COMM 240, COMM 260.
- Complete COMM 220 with a B- or better.
- Complete at least 60 credits of WWU credits or approved transfer credits with a GPA of 2.50 or above. No more than 50 percent of total COMM credits can be transferred from another institution.
- Complete 12-15 credits at WWU.
Ready to Declare?
Schedule an appointment to speak with a staff member. The staff member will review your transcripts and instruct you to fill out the declaration form.
Once you have completed the process, you will be assigned a major faculty advisor.
Or call us to make an appointment (360) 650-3870.
Students contemplating a major in Communication Studies are encouraged to register as pre-majors to ensure that they receive appropriate advising and relevant communications from the department. In order to declare a pre-major in Communication Studies, students should initiate the e-form following the steps below.
Instructions for Pre-Major Declaration:
- Initiate the major declaration form.
- Complete "SECTION I: Student Information."
- Then, scroll to the bottom of the form and in the Signatures and Attachments box's "Email to:" type CommunicationStudiesAdvising@wwu.edu. Do not send it to the default Registrar's email on the form.
- Last, click "Submit."
Only after you have submitted your pre-major declaration form as instructed above, the name of your pre-major faculty advisor will be added on the e-form. Your form will then be forwarded to the Registrar. The name of your major advisor will then be listed in your Degree Works. Visit our Faculty & Staff Directory for your advisor's contact information.
Who to Contact
Please contact your pre-major advisor for pre-major and major coursework questions and mentoring.
You may also email Communication Studies Advising if you have questions or need assistance.