Transfer Students

Welcome to WWU! Transfer students contemplating a major in Communication Studies should declare as pre-majors in the department office in CF 295. When declaring the pre-major, transfer students will be assigned a faculty advisor and added to the departmental listserv.

To become a Communication Studies major, students must submit a portfolio. Before applying to the major, students must complete 12-15 credits at WWU and meet all other prerequisites.

Transfer credit policies, including transfer equivalencies for courses taken at other Washington state Universities and Community Colleges are available on the WWU Admissions website. Transfer students can check to see if any of their prior Communication courses have a WWU Communication Studies course equivalency or if they would count as an elective in the major by using the Transfer Course Equivalency Guide tool. 

Students transferring from an institution outside of Washington or who wish to challenge an equivalency evaluation may ask for a review of any Communication course by our department. To have a course reviewed, email Ann Reynolds at with the following information: 1) the name of the institution attended; 2) the Communication course number, title, and course description; 3) the course syllabus; and 4) your student name and W#.  Ann will provide this information to the appropriate professor for a decision whether the course has an equivalent in our program.  She will respond to you via email with the decision.  If course equivalency is determined she will notify the Registrar.

General information for transfer students can be found at the WWU Academic Advising Center