Application for Communication Studies Scholarships
Applicants will submit a scholarship application to be considered for all available scholarships listed below. The amount for each scholarship varies by the funds we have annually.
The 2023-2024 Communication Studies Scholarship Application is now open. The application deadline including recommendations is April 24, 2023 by 11:59 p.m. PDT. DEADLINE EXTENDED to May 8, 2023 by 12:00 p.m.PDT.
2023-2024 Application Process
- Applicants must complete and submit the Communication Studies Scholarship Application form. The 2023-2024 scholarship application deadline is April 24, 2023 by 11:59 p.m. PDT. DEADLINE EXTENDED to May 8, 2023 by 12:00 p.m. PDT.
- You must be formally declared as a Communication Studies major to apply for any of the scholarships, with the exception of the Departmental Tuition Waiver.
- Applicants will need to provide the following supplemental information:
- Upload your résumé. Your résumé should include significant activities and honors earned while in high school and college. You may also list volunteer activities and employment information.
- Two letters of recommendation are required. A letter writer can be any person who can speak to your scholarly or professional skills (such as a professor or employer) but cannot be a past or current faculty member from the Department of Communication Studies.
- You will copy the Communication Studies Scholarship Recommendation Form link into an email and send it to those who will be submitting your recommendation. The link can be found in the application form. They must be submitted by the deadline.
Sene & Louella Carlile Scholarship
This scholarship is intended for an outstanding upper-division undergraduate or graduate student majoring in Communication Studies.
Anna Eblen Scholarship
The Anna Eblen scholarship is to provide support for students with outstanding academic merit in the Department of Communication Studies. Whenever possible, preference is to be made to applicants who demonstrate, in descending order of priority:
- a commitment to social justice including, but not limited to, a demonstrated interest in women, gender, and sexuality studies; and
- financial need.
George Ruggles Memorial Scholarship
The George Ruggles Scholarship is intended for outstanding Communication Studies majors. Because the Communication Studies faculty recognizes that academic excellence is not only GPA but also an overall commitment to a university education, they will give greater weight to applicants who demonstrate depth and ability in more than one area of study and service.
Abigail Tandy Maye Stout Memorial Scholarship
The Abigail Tandy Maye Stout scholarship will be awarded to a Communication Studies major demonstrating outstanding communication and leadership skills using three criteria:
- financial need,
- academic excellence, and
- involvement in the Department of Communication Studies.
Dr. Patricia Louise Green Swenson Endowment
This endowment is created and shall be applied to the purposes of the donor(s) as follows:
- Scholarship in broadcast communication at Western Washington University;
- Students shall be communication majors who have demonstrated the highest interest in broadcast communication, academic proficiency and financial need; and
- The scholarships are to be awarded by the chair of the Communication Studies Department or his/her designee.
Communication Studies Tuition Waiver
Students selected for Tuition Waivers must be enrolled full-time, undergraduates, in a state-supported program and be of superior academic ability. Full-time status requires enrollment in 12 credits or more per quarter. Waivers are merit awards. Financial need is not used as criterion for selection. Tuition waivers are restricted to state-supported tuition expenses and cannot be used for study abroad or extended education coursework.