English - Creative Writing Emphasis (58-60 Credits) - Download the Plan of Study
The creative writing emphasis offers students the opportunity to develop their writing skills in the genres of fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry and drama. Introductory and advanced genre courses form the core of the major, giving students an opportunity to develop their craft and aesthetics through intensive writing, reading and workshops.
- 25 credits in literature
- May include literary/cultural theory, film studies, and rhetorical and literacy theory at the 300 or 400 level, including a writing proficiency course
- Two of the following: ENG 351, 353, 354, THTR 384, FAIR 354v
- Four of the following: ENG 451, 453, 454, 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 466; THTR 485, FAIR 454y
- ENG 370 - Students who earn a 3.0 or better in LING 201 may substitute a 300 or 400-level English course for ENG 370 with approval of a major advisor
- Creative writing courses offered by Canadian-American Studies may also be counted with approval of a major advisor