Incoming & Transfer Students

A&R Information

Have you signed up for an A&R (Advising & Registration) session? A&R is a one-day advising and academic planning session in Zoom. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn about registration as an incoming or transfer student at Western! 

Make a reservation here!

Transfer Student Declaration

If you are an incoming transfer student who has completed their AA, you may be eligible to declare your English major immediately upon registration. You must have: 

1. completed 60 credits (a completed AA is 60+ credits)

2. completed ENG 202 (or plan to register for ENG 202 during your first quarter at Western.)

If you meet these prerequisites, please click here to complete your English major declaration! We go over this information and more during your A&R session.

Incoming Student Information

We are delighted you have chosen to attend WWU. We hope the time you spend here is filled with learning, challenge, enlightenment, and most of all, fun. To make your declaration as an English major as simple as possible, we have provided some important information below.

The English department offers five major programs:

  • English - Literature, BA
  • English - Literature, BA, with Teaching Endorsement Option
  • English - Creative Writing, BA
  • English - Creative Writing Emphasis, BA, with Teaching Endorsement Options
  • English - English Language Learner (ELL)/Bilingual Option

You can check out the lists of required courses for each of these majors on our English Majors page.


The prerequisites for declaring an English major are:
1. 60 college credits completed at time of registration
2. Satisfactory completion of English 202 - Writing About Literature or equivalent course

(We can also declare you if you meet prerequisite 1 and intend to register for ENG 202 during your first quarter at Western.)

Important Transfer Student Information

If you will be transferring with your AA, you will have met the first prerequisite. You can check the Transfer Course Equivalency Guide to see if any of the courses you took at your previous college are equivalent to our English 202. We often allow transfer students who haven't taken an equivalent course to declare the major on the condition they agree to take English 202 during their first quarter at Western.

Currently, only the following colleges offer courses equivalent to our ENG 202:

CollegeEquivalent Course

Gonzaga UniversityENGL 200 - Intermediate Composition

Skagit Valley CollegeENGL 202 - Intro to Literature

Tacoma Community CollegeENGL 103 - Coll. Comp. Writing About Lit.

Washington State UniversityENGL 302 - Writing About Literature

Wenatchee Valley CollegeENGL 202 - Composition: Critical Analysis

Whatcom Community CollegeENGL 202 - Writing About Literature

Fall Transfers

If you are planning to transfer to Western for fall quarter, we strongly recommend that you attend Fall Advising and Registration in July. Fall A&R is a special orientation program for transfer students where you will have the opportunity meet with a departmental advisor, declare your major, and register for fall classes. If you are unable to attend Fall A&R, you will not be able to register for fall classes until Phase 2 of registration.

Winter & Spring Transfers

First, consider attending one of Western's transfer orientations. If you are planning to transfer to Western for winter or spring quarter, you should email Elle Starr before registration begins to apply for the major.

Undergraduate Program Coordinator & Advisor: Elle Starr

Office: HU 329 / 327

Phone: 360-650-6846


Schedule a Zoom Advising Appointment

Welcome to Western. We look forward to meeting you!