Declaring a CSD Major

How to Declare a CSD Major

A major in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) offers undergraduate coursework related to speech, language, and hearing sciences. In addition, a major in CSD prepares students who want to pursue a graduate degree in speech-language pathology or audiology. 

Students wishing to declare a major in Communication Sciences and Disorders must have:

  • Completed at least 75 credits (in progress courses do not count towards the 75 credits);
  • Successfully completed or be currently enrolled in CSD 251; and
  • Achieved a Western GPA (based on at least 12 credits) of 2.70 or higher.  
    • A grade of at least B- (2.70) in each of the core courses (CSD 251, 352, and 356) may substitute for the overall 2.70 GPA.  

A minor of 24 credits or more is required in addition to completing all CSD major coursework (students may substitute a second major in place of the required minor). A self-designed minor is acceptable, with prior approval of the advisor.

Students who have met this criteria can complete the Major Declaration Form and send it to (the form defaults to the Registrar's office email).