Resources for Anthropology Students
Building your resume with specific skills and experience is essential to finding a job that will lead you to a career in Anthropology. By creating an internship that suits you and your interests specifically, you can maximize your opportunities to have a greater chance of long term career success and satisfaction. Below is a list of books and resources that can help you gain the skills to develop an internship within a specific discipline of Anthropology.
Career Information for Anthropology Majors
Blogs for Anthropologists
Books about Internships
- Internships for Dummies. For Dummies. Donovan, Craig P., and James L. Garnett. 2001.
- The Intern Files: How to Get, Keep, and Make the Most of Your Internship. Fedorko, Jamie. 2006.
- The Successful Internship: Transformation and Empowerment.4th Ed. Sweitzer, H. Frederick, and Mary A. King. 2013.
Books about Anthropology Careers
- Camenson, Blythe. 2004. Great Jobs for Anthropology Majors, VGM Career Horizons.
- Gwynne, Margaret A. 2002. Anthropology Career Resources Handbook. Allyn and Bacon.
- Nolan, Riall W. 2002. Anthropology in Practice: Building a Career Outside the Academy (Directions in Applied Anthropology, Lynne Riener.
- Omohundro, John. 2000 Careers in Anthropology. McGraw-Hill.
- Stephens, W. Richardt. 2001. Careers in Anthropology. Allyn and Bacon.
- Briller, Sherylyn H. and Goldmacher, Amy . 2009. Designing an Anthropology Career, Professional Development Exercises.
- Alta Mira Press
There are opportunities for field work and library research in each of the four subfields of anthropology. Archaeological field school surveys are conducted alternate summers. The department engages in a series of funded projects, providing a wide diversity of research opportunities. Library holdings include resources for those pursuing cross-culture and culture-area research.
Careers for graduates in anthropology lie in both the public and private sectors of the economy and are increasing. Opportunities may be found in teaching (public school, community college and college), federal and state agencies, social services, applied health settings, museums and international business.
Additional Anthropology Resources
WWU Library Anthropology Resources - A Guide to Finding Information in the Western Washington University Libraries
American Anthropological Association - A Guide to Everything Anthropology. A great place to start looking for careers, networking opportunities, publications, anthropological news and more.
Society for Applied Anthropology- A great resource guide for all that is Applied Anthropology.
Interactive Graphical Representation of some of the possibilities of what one can do with an Anthropology Degree.
- Native American Resource Links
- Institute of Social & Cultural Anthropology, University of Oxford
- Northwest Anthropological Association
- Advisory Council on Historic Preservation
- The American Cultural Resources Association
- Society for American Archaeology
- Frequently Asked Questions about Archaeology as a Career Choice
- Links to Archaeology Field and Volunteer Opportunities, as Well as Job Postings
- Lighthouse Archaeology
- Southeast Archaeological Center
- Digital Archaeological Archive of Chesapeake Slavery
- Çatalhöyük website
- Culturally Modified Trees of British Columbia
- The Institute of Field Archaeologists
- Washington Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation
- Association for Washington Archaeology
- The Archaeology Channel
- University Of Pennsylvania: Ethnoarchaeology
- Experimental Archaeology
- American Association of Biological Anthropologists (AABA): The world's leading professional organizations for physical anthropologists.
- University of California Museum of Paleontology
- H-MedAnthro: This list addresses the needs and concerns of medical anthropology graduate students, practicing anthropologists, scholars, and scholar activists who address issues of local, national and international health importance. The list and its accompanying web sites form the hub of an active research community and a storehouse for information supporting the endeavors of medical anthropologists and their colleagues in allied social science fields.
General Anthropology Sites
- Anthropology Links (Cyber Pursuits)
- Florida Museum of Natural History
- American Anthropological Assoc Resources for Undergrads
- The California Academy of Sciences Anthropology Collection Database
- Digital Archaeological Archive of Chesapeake Slavery
- Plants DataBase
- Species DataBase
List of Journals (from AAA)
Currently the following Anthrosource journals are available at americananthro.org.
Select the relevant journal title to view its contents.
- American Anthropologist
- American Ethnologist
- Anthropology & Education Quarterly
- Anthropology and Humanism
- Anthropology News
- Anthropology of Consciousness
- Anthropology of Work Review
- Archeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association
- Bulletin of National Association of Student Anthropologists
- Central Issues in Anthropology
- City & Society
- CSAS Bulletin: Central States Anthropological Society (CSAS)
- Cultural Anthropology
- Culture, Agriculture, Food and Environment
- El Mensajero
- Ethnographic Praxis In Industry Conference Proceedings
- General Anthropology Bulletin of the General Anthropology Division
- Journal of Linguistic Anthropology
- Journal of the Society for the Anthropology of Europe
- Medical Anthropology Quarterly
- Museum Anthropology
- National Association for the Practice of Anthropology Bulletin
- North American Dialogue
- Nutritional Anthropology
- PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review
- Teaching Anthropology: Society for Anthropology in Community College Notes
- The Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Anthropology
- Transforming Anthropology
- Visual Anthropology Review