Major Application Short Answer Essay Questions
The Major Application Short Answer Essay Questions* provide students interested in applying to WWU's psychology or human development majors an opportunity to convey who they are and how their individual lived experiences, values, and goals align with their intended major.
The quiz is comprised of 3 prompts (250 words each max; exceeding word count will result in deducted points):
- In the Department of Psychology, we aim to encourage and train students to apply psychological science to address societal needs and problems. What societal needs and problems are you interested in addressing and why? Please describe the specific academic and/or life experiences that have motivated you to pursue a psychology major.
- In the Department of Psychology, we aim to create an inviting, respectful, safe, and inclusive learning community for students. Please describe some specific ways (based on your lived experiences, actions, values, and/or goals) you would contribute to creating this learning community.
- (Optional; no word limit) Please provide any information that you feel could help us improve the overall major application process. Note: The suggestions provided will not be used to determine your admission to the major but will instead be used to help us refine this process for future admission cycles.
Tips to consider when writing:
-Reflect on yourself (individual lived experience, strengths, academic history, etc.) before crafting your response
-Address the prompts directly
-Think and write deeply, with full transparency
-Provide specific examples when possible
-Make sure who you are and how your goals/values align with this major are crystal clear in your responses; consider what makes you a good fit in the Psychology Department
Remember: Quality of writing is not being evaluated; however, please use spell check and write in complete sentences to make sure your ideas come across as clearly as possible. Plagiarism of any kind is not tolerated.
Can't access the Short Answer Essay Questions? Self-enroll in our Psychology Interest Canvas course
Curious about the Department of Psychology's goals and values? Check out our DEI Initiatives and Values Statement
Looking for writing help? Visit the WWU Writing Center
*These prompts must be completed before your new major application can be evaluated. The application portal will open at the beginning of fall, winter, and spring quarter.
Winter '23 Major Application
Available Friday 1/6 @ 8:30AM through Friday 1/20 @ 5PM
Apply in THREE easy steps:
1. Submit a Major Application Webform
2. Complete the Major Application Quiz that matches your intended major
3. Submit responses to the Major Application Essay Questions
Need access to the quizzes and essay questions? Self-Enroll Here
Currently enrolled in PSY 203 as a transfer student?
Optional Step #4: Submit a Major Application Exception