Declare a Major
2021-22 New Major Declaration Requirements
Students intending to declare a major in psychology or human development must:
- meet all prerequisites,
- complete the Major Application Quiz, and
- complete the application webform fully and on time.
The quiz and new major application web portal are open during weeks three and four of fall, winter, and spring quarter, see link below. Application is unavailable summer quarter.
Please note that the Department of Psychology is highly impacted, meaning the number of students wishing to declare exceeds the space available. As a result, admission will be determined each quarter by applicant ranked GPA, ranked high to low. To see previous quarter GPA admission cutoffs, please see Past Acceptance Rates.
2021-22 New Major Prerequisites
- Completion (including current class enrollment) of at least 90 credits;
- Completion of at least 20 PSY credits (with a C- or better) by the end of the current quarter, including completion of PSY 101 and PSY 297A/203*, and completion/current enrollment in two courses from PSY 210, 220, 230, 240, and 250, or transfer credit for those courses as indicated on the Transfer Equivalency Report. At least 5 200-level PSY credits taken at Western;
- Achieved a Western GPA (based on at least 12 credits) of 2.70 or higher**. In the absence of a Western GPA, a GPA of 2.70 or higher from an equivalent four-year institution (based on at least 12 credits) or a cumulative GPA from a completed Associates degree may substitute for the Western GPA. A psych GPA (based on an average of two or more 200-level major-required psych courses*) may substitute for a cumulative GPA.
* Exception for current enrollment in fall '21 PSY 203 sections available on a case-by-case basis. See Major Application Exception webform.
** GPA minimum requirement increased from a 2.6 to 2.7 beginning fall '21.