School Counseling Program: Application
Applicants must apply to the Graduate School. Once a student has been determined to be eligible for admission to the Graduate School, a special committee within the Psychology Department will select students for admission to the M.Ed. School Counselor Program. Applicants are required to submit ALL materials (see required application materials below) to the Graduate School. If you have any questions or difficulties with the application materials at the website, please contact the Graduate School via e-mail or 360-650-3170. Your answers to the attached questionnaire will serve as your statement of purpose, and must be completed and returned along with the other application materials. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit all materials prior to February 1 for admission to the program beginning in the fall. Final admission decisions for the next academic year are usually made during late February or early March. Admission to the program is very competitive and applicants are encouraged to submit all materials as early as possible.
Required application materials (to be sent directly to the Graduate School; not to the Psychology department):
- Graduate School application form and application fee
- 3 letters of reference, no more than 1 year old. Must include at least one from a professor who can comment on academic abilities.
- 1 unofficial transcript from each university/college attended
- Completed School Counselor Statement of Purpose
- For the 2021-2022 academic year and beyond, the GRE test will NOT be required as part of our School Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling application process. This change was made to address some of the known inequities inherent with using the GRE for graduate admissions.
- Resume including all work and volunteer experiences relevant to counseling with children/youth.
After an initial screening of applications, the faculty will select individuals to invite for personal interviews. To obtain additional information concerning the School Counselor Program, contact the Psychology Graduate program coordinator at 360-650-3184.