Declaring a Major
Requirements to Declare the New 2021-22 Majors
Students intending to declare a major in psychology or human development must first meet all prerequisistes. The Psychology Department is highly impacted, meaning the number of students wishing to declare exceeds the space available. As a result, admission will be determined each quarter on a space-available basis based on GPA, ranked from high to low.
Applicants are also required to complete the Major Application Quiz prior to having their application evaluated, which will be made available on Canvas the third week of each quarter. The new major application portal will be open during weeks three and four of fall, winter, and spring quarter via the Psychology Department website.
2021-22 New Major Prerequisites
- Completion (including current class enrollment) of at least 90 credits;
- Completion of at least 20 PSY credits (with a C- or better) by the end of the current quarter, including completion of PSY 101 and PSY 297A/203*, and completion/current enrollment in two courses from PSY 210, 220, 230, 240, and 250, or transfer credit for those courses as indicated on the Transfer Equivalency Report. At least 5 200-level PSY credits taken at Western;
- Achieved a Western GPA (based on at least 12 credits) of 2.60 or higher**. In the absence of a Western GPA, a GPA of 2.60 or higher from an equivalent four-year institution (based on at least 12 credits) or a cumulative GPA from a completed Associates degree may substitute for the Western GPA. A psych GPA (based on an average of two or more 200-level major-required psych courses*) may substitute for a cumulative GPA.
* Exception for current enrollment in PSY 297A/203 accepted spring '21 and on a case-by-case basis.
** GPA minimum requirement will increase from a 2.6 to 2.7 beginning fall '21.
Please note: The new major application portal is only open during the third and fourth weeks of fall, winter, and spring quarter. Application is unavailable summer quarter.
2020-21 Psychology and Human Development Major Declaration
To declare a 2020-21 major, a psychology pre-major must have:
- Successfully completed or be currently enrolled in PSY 301;
- Achieved a WWU GPA (based on at least 12 credits) of 2.70 or higher. A GPA of 3.0 or higher in Western PSY courses, including PSY 301, may substitute for the cumulative 2.70 GPA.
Beginning the third week of fall, winter, and spring quarter, students who have successfully declared a psychology pre-major and meet all the above major requirements may declare a 2020-21 major: