2018 Seminar for Civic Education
This year the Seminar for Civic Education was held October 23-24, 2018. The theme was “Ralph Munro’s Legacy in the International Affairs.” Programs highlights included Mr. Munro’s role in stimulating trade between Washington and the Far East as well as his humanitarian work in East Africa.
Our keynote speaker on October 23rd was David Bachman, Professor of Political Science, and faculty of the Jackson School of International Studies at the University of Washington. Dr. Bachman is a specialist in US-China trade.
Video files of the panels are linked below.
Tuesday, October 23: Keynote Address
Location: Mount Baker Theatre, Harold and Irene Walton Room
A talk by David Bachman, Professor of Political Science at the Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies, University of Washington
Wednesday, October 24: Seminar Panels
Location: Wilson Library Reading Room, Western Washington University
2:30-4:00: Panel on Global Citizens' Activism
Moderator: Vicki Hamblin, Executive Director, Institute for Global Engagement, Western Washington University
- Engineers without Borders, Bellingham Chapter
- Liz Mogford, Sociology Department, Western Washington University
- Lauren McClanahan, Bellingham Sister Cities Association / Secondary Education Department, Western Washington University
4:00-4:30 Break for Refreshments
4:30-6:00: Panel on Trade Policy in the Era of Trump
Moderator: Laurie Trautman, Director, Border Policy Research Institute, Western Washington University
- Louis Mingo, Economic Affairs officer, Mexican Consulate, Seattle
- Christopher Sands, School of Advanced International Studies, Johns Hopkins University
- Jason Query, Economics Department, Western Washington University
- Stan Sorscher, President, Washington Fair Trade Coalition
For more information about the seminar, please contact Dr. Vernon Johnson, Director for the Ralph Munro Institute for Civic Education at Vernon.Johnson@wwu.edu.