Jun G. San Juan, PhD, ATC
Dr. Jun San Juan was born and raised in the Philippines. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Sport Science at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. In 2000, Dr. San Juan moved to the United States to pursue graduate school. He earned his M.A degree in Physical Education with a major in Biomechanics and Athletic Training at San Diego State University (SDSU). Dr. San Juan then continued graduate school at the University of Oregon and finished his PhD in Biomechanics.
Dr. San Juan joined Western Washington University in 2013 as an Assistant Professor of Kinesiology in the Department of Health and Human Development. He has been a certified Athletic Trainer since 2005 with the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Board of Certification.
Ph.D. University of Oregon - Biomechanics
M.A. San Diego State University - Biomechanics, Athletic Training
B. University of the Philippines, Diliman - Sport Science
- KIN 311 - Biomechanics
- KIN 312 - Functional Anatomy
- KIN 497B - Human Anatomy Dissection
- KIN 510 - Laboratory Techniques in Exercise Science (Graduate)
- KIN 544 - Biomechanics and the Musculoskeletal System (Graduate)
Faculty Research Interests
Biomechanics of the Extremity - Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation:
- Shoulder Biomechanics
- EMG Biofeedback in Strength Training and Rehabilitation
- Lower Extremity Biomechanics
- Functional Movement Evaluation
*Rosete F, Brilla L, Suprak DN, *Hummer ET, San Juan JG. (2021) Isometric, Eccentric, and Concentric Strength in Trained and Untrained Older Adults: A Pilot Study International Journal of Kinesiology & Sports Science. 9(4):13-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijkss.v.9n.4p.13.
- *Hummer ET, *Murphy EN, Suprak DN, Brilla LR, San Juan JG. (2021). Movement direction impacts knee joint kinematics during elliptical exercise at varying incline angles. Knee. 2021 Feb 25;29:201-207. doi: 10.1016/j.knee.2021.02.008. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33640619.
- *Hummer E, *Murphy E, Suprak DN, Brilla L, San Juan JG. (2020). The effects of a standard elliptical vs. a modified elliptical with a converging footpath on lower limb kinematics and muscle activity. J Sports Sci. 2020 Oct;38(20):2382-2389. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2020.1786241. Epub 2020 Jun 30. PMID: 32600126.
- *Fife, AN Buddhadev HH, Suprak DN, Paxon SB, San Juan JG. (2020). Effect of pedal stance width manipulation via pedal spacers on lower limb frontal plane kinematics during cycling. Journal of Science and Cycling. 9(1), 33-43. https://doi.org/10.28985/0620.jsc.05.
- *Hummer E, Suprak DN, Buddhadev HH, Brilla L, San Juan JG. (2019). Creatine electrolyte supplement improves anaerobic power and strength: randomized double-blind control study. J Int Soc Sports Nutr.16:24 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12970-019-0291-x
- **Dykes B, *Johnson J, San Juan JG. (2019). Effects of finger taping on forearm muscle activation in rock climbers. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2019.01.004.
- *Younis Aslan HI, Buddhadev HH, Suprak DN, San Juan JG. (2018). Acute effects of two hip flexor stretching techniques on knee joint position sense and balance. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2018 Aug;13(5):846-859. PMID:30276017
- San Juan JG, Suprak DN, Roach SM, Lyda M. (2018). Lower Extremity Strength and Range of Motion in High School Cross-Country Runners. Appl Bionics Biomech. 2018 Aug 8;2018:6797642. doi: 10.1155/2018/6797642. eCollection 2018.
- *Crisafulli DL, Buddhadev HH, Brilla LR, Chalmers GR, Suprak DN, San Juan JG. (2018). Creatine-electrolyte supplementation improves repeated sprint cycling performance: A double blind randomized control study. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2018 May 2;15:21. doi: 10.1186/s12970-018-0226-y. eCollection 2018.
- Buddhadev HH, *Crisafulli DL, Suprak DN, San Juan JG. (2018). Individuals With Knee Osteoarthritis Demonstrate Interlimb Asymmetry in Pedaling Power During Stationary Cycling. J Appl Biomech. 2018 Aug 1;34(4):306-311. doi: 10.1123/jab.2017-0363.
- San Juan JG. *Gunderson S. **Kane-Ronning K. Suprak DN. (2016). Scapular kinematic is altered after electromyography biofeedback training. Journal of Biomechanics. Jun 14;49(9):1881-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2016.04.036. Epub 2016 May 3. PMID: 27161990
- San Juan JG. Roach S. Lyda M. Suprak DN. (2015). The effects of exercise type and elbow angle on vertical ground reaction force and muscle activity during a push-up plus exercise. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 16: 23.
Complete List of Publications: