Janet Zhiqun Xing
Professor Emeritus of Chinese and Linguistics
At WWU, Professor Xing taught Chinese and linguistics courses. She developed the major program in Chinese Language and Culture and served as the program coordinator and academic advisor from 2010 to 2020. For her profession, she organized a number of national and international conferences on Chinese linguistics, grammaticalization, and teaching and learning Chinese as a second language and served The Chinese Language Teachers Association (CLTA) as the Board of Director, Vice President, and President in 2009-2013. She also served as the editor for the journal of Chinese as a Second Language (CSL) in 2017-2019.
- Ph.D. in Linguistics, University of Michigan
- M.A. in Linguistics, Eastern Michigan University
- B.A. in English Language & Literature, Shanxi University
Research and teaching interests
Professor Xing's research and teaching interests are in discourse analysis, historical linguistics, semantic change, grammaticalization, and Chinese language pedagogy and acquisition.
- 2020 A Typological Approach to Grammaticalization & Lexicalization: East Meets West (edited). Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- 2013 Teaching and Learning Chinese as a Foreign Language [對外漢語教學法 Duiwai Hanyu Jiaoxuefa.] Taipei: Crane Publishing.
- 2012 The Newest Trends in the Study of Grammaticalization and Lexicalization in Chinese (edited). Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- 2011 A Contrastive Model of Teaching Chinese to Native English Speakers [國別化對外漢語教學法 Guobiehua Duiwai Hanyu Jiaoxuefa.] Beijing: Peking University Press.
- 2009 Studies of Chinese Linguistics: Functional Approaches (edited). Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press.
- 2008 (with Jianhua Bai and Juyu Song) Beyond the Basics 樂在溝通: Communicative Chinese for Intermediate/Advanced Learners, Second Edition (substantial changes to the 1st edition). Boston: Cheng & Tsui Company.
- 2006 Teaching and Learning Chinese as a Foreign Language. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press.
Refereed Journal Articles And Book Chapters
- 2020 with Axel Schuessler) Semantic extension in Old Chinese: Direction, transitivity, and voice. In Xing (ed.) A Typological Approach to Grammaticalization & Lexicalization: East Meets West, pp. 165-190. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- 2018 Error analysis in word order acquisition of Chinese by English-speaking learners [英漢語序習得偏誤研究 Yīnghàn yŭxù xídé piānwù yánjiū]. em>Taiwan Journal of Chinese as a Second Language, Vol. 17, pp. 121-152.
- 2018 On a pedagogical model of teaching Chinese culture in Chinese language classrooms [試論漢語語言文化教學體系 Shìlùn hànyŭ yŭyán wénhuà jiàoxué tĭxì]. In Jinming Zhao & Quan Li (eds.), Research of Pedagogical Theory on Chinese as L2. Beijing: Shangwu Yinshuguan
- 2018 Commendatory & Derogatory Expressions in Chinese. In Huang, Jing-Schmidt & Meisterernst (eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Applied Chinese Linguistics, pp. 379-390. Taylor & Francis.
- 2017 Accretion in Semantic Change. In Fuxiang Wu & Qianrui Chen (eds.), Yufahua Yu Yufa Yanjiu [Grammaticalization and Grammatical Studies], Vol. 8:361-380. Beijing: Shangwu Yinshuguan
- 2016 Color Terms in Chinese. In Rint Sybesma (editor-in-chief) Encyclopedia of Chinese Language and Linguistics, pp. 636-641. Leiden: BRILL.
- 2016 Error Analysis of Ellipsis in Chinese as a Foreign Language [對外漢語省略偏誤研究 Duìwài hànyǔ shĕngluè piānwù yánjiū]. Chinese Teaching in the World [Shijie Hanyu Jiaoxue], pp. 531-549.
- 2015 Semantic Change in Chinese. In Chan Sin-wai (editor-in-chief) Routledge Encyclopedia of the Chinese Language, pp. 706-722.
- 2015 A Comparative Study of Semantic Change in Chinese and Germanic Languages. Studies in Language, Volume 39:3, pp. 593-633.
- 2014 Semantic change and grammaticalization of the universal quantifier mĕi in Chinese. In Xu and Fu (eds.) Space and Quantification in Languages of China, pp. 95-116. New York: Springer.
- 2013 Semantic reanalysis and semantic change in grammaticalization in Chinese [漢語語法化中的語意重新分析和語意演變 Hànyŭ yŭfăhuà zhōng de yŭyì chóngxīn fēnxi hé yŭyì yănbiàn]. Journal of Historical Linguistics [Lishi Yuyanxue Yanjiu], Volume 6, pp. 237-254. Beijing: Shangwu Yinshuguan
- 2013 Semantic reanalysis in grammaticalization in Chinese.In Zhuo Jing-Schmidt (ed.) Increased Empiricism: New Advances in Chinese Linguistics, pp. 223-246. Philadelphia/Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- 2012 Semantic change in the grammaticalization of classifiers in Chinese. In Janet Xing (ed.) Newest Trends in the Study of Grammaticalization and Lexicalization in Chinese, pp. 169-213. Mouton de Gruyter.
- 2011 Pedagogy and Acquisition of Chinese Words [對外漢語詞彙教學法初探 Duìwài hànyŭ cíhuì jiàoxuéfă chūtàn]. Journal of Chinese Language Teachers’ Association, Vol. 46:2, pp. 71-97.
- 2010 On a pedagogical model of teaching Chinese culture in Chinese language classrooms [>試論漢語語言文化教學體系 Shìlùn hànyŭ yŭyán wénhuà jiàoxué tĭxì]. Chinese Teaching in the World [Shijie Hanyu Jiaoxue], Vol. 24:1, pp. 93-102.
- 2010 Tone pedagogy and acquisition in teaching Chinese as a foreign language [對外漢語聲調教學之現狀及教學法 Duìwài hànyŭ shēngdiào jiàoxué zhī xiànzhuàng jí jiàoxuéfă]. Taiwan Journal of Chinese as a Second Language [Taiwan Huayu Jiaoxue Yanjiu], Vol. 1, pp. 1-17. /li>