Clubs & Associations
The purpose of the WWU Sociology Club is to provide an open forum for students interested in sociological topics, as well as a platform for workshops and sessions related to research, computing, conferences, graduate school, and careers.
Club Advisor: Julie Morris
International Sociology Honor Society
"Alpha Kappa Delta seeks to acknowledge and promote excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, the research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as
will lead to improvement in the human condition." (AKD Website)
The sociology department here at Western houses a chapter of the International Sociology Honor Society, Alpha Kappa Delta. Applicants who meet the following criteria after the end of winter quarter will be initiated near the end of spring quarter:
- Are an officially declared sociology major (or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program) at Western.
- Are at least a junior (third year) by Western’s standards.
- Have accumulated the equivalent of an overall grade point average of 3.3.
- Have maintained at least a 3.0 grade point average in sociology courses taken at Western prior to initiation.
- Have completed at least four regular courses in sociology at Western.
- Have submitted an unofficial copy of their transcript to Jen Lois in the Sociology Department for verification of the above criteria.
- Have filled out the department’s online application (see below)
Members of this society will receive a lifetime membership in AKD, a membership certificate, and a one-year subscription to the sociology journal, Sociological Inquiry. Members are also eligible to wear an honor cord at graduation to mark their membership in the AKD. Finally, members of AKD are eligible to enter the annual undergraduate student paper competition. Awards for this competition include cash, scholarship money for graduate school, travel expenses to professional meetings, and consideration of the paper for publication in a professional journal. The cost for this lifetime membership is a one-time fee of $50. (There are a limited number of scholarships available through the sociology department. If you would like to request assistance, please fill out the “request for membership assistance” section on the application.)
Applications are now being accepted; the deadline for applying is the second Friday of Spring Quarter. To apply, complete the online application and email an unofficial copy of your transcript (after winter grades are in) to firstname.lastname@example.org