The Sociology Major
Thinking about applying to the major?
Do you need help deciding whether to apply to the Sociology Department for your major? You're invited to meet with the Sociology Advisor to ask questions and explore the Degree Options, career opportunities and more.
Applying to the Sociology Major
The number of students admitted to the major is limited as a result of the structure of the sociology curriculum and departmental staffing capabilities.
- Completion of at least 45 college level credits.
- Completion of at least 5 credits of Sociology with a C- or better.
Path 1 (Immediate Declaration): Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.85 or higher may submit their Admissions paperwork at any time to the Sociology Department Advisor for approval and admission to the major.
Path 2 (Application Review): Students with a cumulative GPA lower than 2.85 should submit their Admissions paperwork to the Sociology Department on or before Friday of the 2nd week of fall, winter, spring, or summer quarter. These applications will be reviewed and admission to the major will be based on a combination of overall GPA, Sociology GPA, and space available in the program. Students will receive notification regarding their admission status during the third or fourth week of classes.
1. The Sociology_Major_Application can be found in the hanging file slots to the left of Arntzen Hall 513.
2. Please complete the front of the application, attach your unofficial transcripts and place in the drop-box to the left of Artnzen Hall 513.
**(Please note the deadlines and feedback notification timelines for Path 2 applicants, as listed above).
Graduation paperwork is due to the Registrar’s Office at least two quarters in advance of graduation. Due dates can be found on the Degree Application.
Your graduation paperwork will include:
· Degree Application, completed by you. (Blank forms can be found on the Registrar’s Website).
· Major Evaluation, completed by the Sociology Program Coordinator.
· Minor Evaluation (if applicable) completed by your Minor Department.
Please schedule an appointment (on the clipboard to the left of 513) with the Sociology Program Coordinator for the completion of your Major Evaluation. **
**Please note, if your graduation paperwork due date falls within the Summer Quarter, please schedule your Major Evaluation the prior Spring Quarter.