Major Application and Major Evaluation
Thinking about applying to the major?
Do you need help deciding whether to apply to the Sociology Department for your major? You're invited to contact the Sociology Advisor to ask questions and explore the Degree Options, career opportunities and more.
Applying to the Sociology Major
The number of students admitted to the major is limited as a result of the structure of the sociology curriculum and departmental staffing capabilities.
- Completion of at least 45 college level credits.
- Completion of at least 5 credits of Sociology with a C- or better.
Path 1 (Immediate Declaration)
Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.85 or higher may submit their Admissions paperwork via email at any time to the Sociology Department Advisor for approval and admission to the major.
Path 2 (Application Review)
Students with a cumulative GPA lower than 2.85 should submit their Admissions paperwork to the Sociology Department via email on or before Friday of the 2nd week of fall, winter or spring quarter. (There is not a Path 2 cycle Summer Quarter). These applications will be reviewed and admission to the major will be based on a combination of overall GPA, Sociology GPA, and space available in the program.
Students will receive notification regarding their admission status during the third or fourth week of classes.
The Spring Quarter Path 2 deadline is Friday April 9th. Submit documents electronically to Andrea.Osborn@wwu.edu
Sociology Major Application Process
Please submit all documents by email to Andrea.Osborn@wwu.edu .
The locked drop box next to Arntzen Hall 513 is not being checked at this time. Documents submitted there will not be seen or processed.
1. The sociology major application can be completed via PDF or Word format.
2. Please complete the front of the application, attach a PDF or screenshot of your unofficial transcripts and submit via email to Andrea.Osborn@wwu.edu. Many virtual formats of completed forms are acceptable; PDF attachment, Word attachment or scanned copy of printed form are preferred. Screenshots or photo attachments of completed hard copy via cell phone are also acceptable.
3. Feedback will be provided via email regarding your application. **
**(Please note the deadlines and feedback notification timelines for Path 2 applicants, as listed above).
Graduation Procedures for Major Evaluations
Graduation paperwork is due to the Registrar’s Office at least two quarters in advance of graduation. Due dates can be found on the Degree Application.
Your graduation paperwork will include:
- Degree Application, completed by you (found on the Registrar’s Website).
- Major Evaluation, completed by the Sociology Program Coordinator.
- Minor Evaluation (if applicable) completed by your Minor Department.
Please contact Sociology Program Coordinator Andrea.Osborn@wwu.edu for a completed Major Evaluation. Please include your W# with your request. A copy of your evaluation will be emailed to you.**
**Please note, if your graduation paperwork due date falls within the Summer Quarter, please schedule your Major Evaluation the prior Spring Quarter.